On behalf of the School Parent Council, Welcome to the Hernández 2018-19 School Year!
Are you a Hernandez parent or guardian? If so, congratulations! You are already a member of the School Parent Council (SPC)! The purpose of the SPC is to help Hernandez families be an integral part of the school community.
This year we are focused on collaborating with Hernandez staff and teachers to:
- Provide a nurturing and safe community to our students
- Increase communications and making sure that more families are heard when we make important decisions about our school
- Support our children’s social-emotional health and positive behavior.
How can you participate?
- Come to meetings (see dates below)
- Join our Google Group to join in on discussion
- Check out our website run by a volunteer mom for updates (that’s here!)
- Join our Facebook group
What is expected of me as a member of the SPC?
Let us know what resources you need to support you and your child via our Google Groups, or in-person at our meetings. We’ll also send out some surveys that we hope you will fill out so we know what to prioritize. That’s all you need to do!
When/if you can:
- Please join us for dinners and meetings or send a message about what you think about the topics.
- We will send out small tasks that we need, please sign up when you can.
- Be a member of the leadership team! Email Andrea at firstname.lastname@example.org to become involved!
Meeting Dates and Topics
**Dinner, childcare and interpretation is provided at ALL MEETINGS**
- Monday, September 17: 6-7:30 PM: Welcome to School Year 2018-19!
Introduction of our principal and staff, and SPC election (continued!)
- Wednesday, October 17, 6-7:30 PM: Creating a nurturing and safe school community for all of us
- Monday, November 19, 6-7:30 PM: Voicing our priorities and needs as a school community
- Wednesday, December 12, 6-9 PM: Holiday Fundraiser at Cafeteria on Newbury Street
- Wednesday January 16, 6-7:30 PM: Healthy, happy kids! Socio-emotional health and behavior. Presentation of the 2019-2020 School Budget
- Monday February 11, 6-7:30 PM: The state of our schools: district update
- Wednesday, March 13, 6-7:30 PM: Raising a bilingual child
- Monday, April 8, 6-7:30 PM: Embracing multiculturalism
- APRIL (TBD): ¡Noche de Fiesta!
- Wednesday, May 15, 6-7:30 PM: The plan for 2019-2020
- Monday, June 10, 6-7:30 PM: Elections for 2019-2020
Parents are an integral part of the Hernández School. Outside of participating in School Parent Council (above), many parents volunteer their time in the classroom, chaperone field trips and 75-80% of the parents attend Open House three times a year. Other committees for for parents to serve on are School Site Council, Citywide Parent Council, and the Noche de Fiesta Committee.
School Site Council: Six parents are elected to the School Site Council (SSC) from the School Parent Council (SPC). Six staff members also serve on the SSC. The SSC meets monthly to discuss issues of a more academic nature and to assist the principal and staff in planning the academic path of the school.
Noche de Fiesta Committee is a volunteer parent committee that meets throughout the school year to plan our annual family fiesta. The committee also has sub-committees that concentrate on food, raffle prizes and location.